Are you looking for spiritual warfare Scriptures that you can use to declare victory over your life? There are times when we feel like the weight of the world is on our shoulders. Although we will sometimes experience difficulty and hardship in this life, we can walk in joy and freedom when we use God’s Word as a powerful weapon of warfare. Let’s take a look at 25 Scriptures on spiritual warfare that we can use to encourage our hearts and stand firm against the enemy’s schemes.
You can also download a FREE printable at the end of this post with these spiritual warfare Scriptures that you can use to pray with power and confidence each day!
What is Spiritual Warfare?
Many of us are familiar with some Bible verses on spiritual warfare. Spiritual warfare can be defined as warfare (war or conflict) happening in the spiritual realm (or kingdom). According to Scripture, there is a kingdom of light (Colossians 1:12) and a kingdom of darkness (Colossians 1:13).
Paul described both kingdoms in the book of Colossians:
…being strengthened with all power according to his glorious might so that you may have great endurance and patience, and giving joyful thanks to the Father, who has qualified you to share in the inheritance of his holy people in the kingdom of light. For he has rescued us from the dominion of darkness and brought us into the kingdom of the Son he loves, in whom we have redemption, the forgiveness of sins.Colossians 1:11-14
Praise God that we have been rescued from the kingdom of darkness!
Satan has temporary rule of this world and is known as the “prince of this world” (John 12:31, John 14:29-31). He is the ruler of the dominion of darkness, but God’s kingdom overpowers the darkness because He is light and there is no darkness in him (1 John 1:5). God’s kingdom is filled with his glorious light and truth, and Christ has overcome the darkness of the enemy.
Spiritual Warfare Scriptures in the Book of Ephesians
Many of us are familiar with Bible verses on spiritual warfare, and can easily quote the passage on the armor of God described in Ephesians 6. But many of us are not aware of the connection to spiritual warfare that the apostle Paul makes to believers in Ephesians chapters 4 and 5 before he urges the Ephesian church to gear up for spiritual war in chapter 6.
He instructed the church as the body of Christ to live in unity among one another in chapter 4.
Make every effort to keep the unity of the Spirit through the bond of peace.Ephesians 4:3
Since Satan’s goal is to attack families, it makes perfect sense why Paul strengthened the home front by addressing the biblical roles of the family before he instructed them to put on the armor of God.
The beautiful unity between humanity was broken after sin entered the world.
After the curse of sin saturated the earth, Adam and Eve no longer lived in complete oneness and harmony. There was disunity and discord within the family. One of the first areas of life affected by sin was marriage (Genesis 3:16). Then Satan attacked the children within those families through generational curses and rebellion.
Ever since then, the devil has been busy.
He lurks in the shadows while husbands and wives argue and fuss, while children are neglected and abused, while leaders slander one another, while people steal, kill their brothers, and destroy their communities. We’ve been fighting against each other while the real enemy goes undetected and unseen. The enemy knew that if families fought against each other, it would produce broken societies. Broken societies result in a world of violence, oppression and chaos. Satan’s first tactic is to attack the home.
So how can we fortify our families and fight the real enemy? We must stop fighting each other and put on the armor of God and fight against the real enemy behind every evil deed and atrocity. Since Jesus crushed the head of Satan, unity through Christ is now possible. We can band together as mothers, fathers, sisters, brothers, wives, husbands, sons and daughters to defeat the enemy together.
Here’s how we do it.
Using Spiritual Warfare Scriptures to Declare our Victory in Christ
Paul urged the Ephesian church to put on the armor of God to take a stand against the enemy.
“Finally, be strong in the Lord and in his mighty power. Put on the full armor of God so that you can take your stand against the devil’s schemes. For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms.Ephesians 6:10-12
Paul lays it out clearly: We must find our strength and might in the Lord and put on the full armor of God. Our struggle (or fight) is not against “flesh and blood”.
This battle is not against our family members or against the people within our church or in our communities.
This is a spiritual battle against an unseen enemy. When we were dead in our sins, we lived in the darkness of this world. But now that we belong to the Light of the world, as children of the Light, we are equipped to put on the armor of light (Romans 13:12).
We are now clothed with the glorious splendor and light of Christ!
Paul in Ephesians 2:1-2 explains it like this:
As for you, you were dead in your transgressions and sins, in which you used to live when you followed the ways of this world and the ruler of the kingdom of the air…
The “ruler” of the dark kingdom of this world is Satan.
He has temporary dominion on earth—but his time is short (Revelation 12:12).
How to Fight Spiritual Warfare from a Place of Victory- Seated in Heavenly Realms
Paul goes on to say,
But because of his great love for us, God, who is rich in mercy made us alive with Christ even when we were dead in our transgressions—it is by grace you have been saved. And God raised us up with Christ and seated us with him in the heavenly realms in Christ Jesus… (Ephesians 2:4-6)
We are alive in Christ, and through him we are seated with him in the heavenly realms! The term “heavenly” in the Greek refers to something that is “in or above heaven; heavenly”, something above the sky or celestial (source).
The best way scholars have defined this in the English language is “heavenly realms’, “heavenly places” or “high places”. In other words, there is a spiritual dimension above us that we cannot see or experience fully in our physical bodies. But we are not just physical beings— we have a body, a soul, and a spirit.
Our spirits are able to connect with God through Jesus, and the Holy Spirit resides within us through our faith in him.
Because of this, Paul says:
Praise be to God the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us in the heavenly realms with every spiritual blessing in Christ.Ephesians 1:3
There is that phrase “heavenly realms” again.
Through Jesus, we have every spiritual blessing available to us. These spiritual blessings include our salvation, grace, forgiveness of sins, joy, peace, power, wisdom, and the riches of his glorious inheritance. Since Jesus is seated with God in the heavenly realms, and because we have access to every spiritual blessing through Christ, we are also seated with Christ spiritually.
Our position as his children is eternally secure.
He already has a seat waiting for us in heaven, and spiritually speaking, we are already there!
It’s kind of like booking a flight to the vacation of your dreams. Jesus paid for the airline ticket, the resort costs, food, excursions, everything. He paid, but your name is on the ticket. There is a seat on the plane reserved just for you. The day your flight leaves, all you have to do is take your ticket to the airport, check-in and board the plane.
Your spiritual seat is secure!
Paul goes on to say further in Ephesians 1 that we who belong to Christ have the wonderful spiritual blessings of God’s glorious inheritance, and incredible power through him.
That power is like the working of his mighty strength, which he exerted in Christ when he raised him from the dead and seated him at his right hand in the heavenly realms, far above all rule and authority, power and dominion, and every title that can be given, not only in the present age but also in the one to come.Ephesians 1:19a-21
Jesus is seated with God the Father on the throne of ultimate power in the heavenly realms.
He has all strength and authority over everything—including the rulers, authorities, and evil power of the dark forces described in Ephesians 6:12.
Christ’s rule and authority is stronger than the devil’s dominion of darkness.
Because we are seated with Christ, we can live our lives from a position of victory in Him! God has placed all things under his feet (Ephesians 1:22). This means that Satan is crushed like a pesky cockroach under the feet of Jesus. Since Jesus is the sovereign ruler of all, he sits on the throne of justice and authority. Everyone else must submit to him—period. Jesus has already defeated the enemy, and we are seated with him in spiritual victory!
The God of peace will soon crush Satan under your feet.Romans 16:20
Satan is not only crushed under the feet of Jesus, but since we are spiritually seated with Christ, Satan is defeated under our feet as well!
25 Powerful Spiritual Warfare Scriptures
You may be wondering, “If Christ is all powerful and Satan is under the feet of Jesus, why do we still fight spiritual battles?”
Satan, the accuser of the brothers, knows he is already defeated, and that his time is short on earth (Revelation 12:10-12). He hurls accusations at the body of Christ to deceive us and to try to get us to doubt the secure position we have with God in heaven. Jesus called Satan the father of lies (John 8:44). Lying is his native tongue. His accusations are nothing but lies that cause us to doubt the goodness of God, our identity in Christ, and to question God’s love for us.
It is our job as warriors of Christ to be alert and watchful of the devil’s schemes, and to protect ourselves against his lies with the armor of God and the truth of his Word.
Here is a list of 25 Bible verses on spiritual warfare that we can use to powerfully remind ourselves that the battle is the Lord’s.
1. Ephesians 6:11 Put on the whole armor of God, that you may be able to stand against the schemes of the devil.
2. Ephesians 6:12 For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the cosmic powers over this present darkness, against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly places.
3. 2 Corinthians 10:3-5 For though we walk in the flesh, we are not waging war according to the flesh. For the weapons of our warfare are not of the flesh but have divine power to destroy strongholds. We destroy arguments and every lofty opinion raised against the knowledge of God, and take every thought captive to obey Christ…
4. James 4:7 Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you.
5. 1 Peter 5:8 Be sober-minded; be watchful. Your adversary the devil prowls around like a roaring lion, seeking someone to devour.
6. Ephesians 6:13 Therefore take up the whole armor of God, that you may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand firm.
7. 1 John 5:4-5 For everyone who has been born of God overcomes the world. And this is the victory that has overcome the world—our faith. Who is it that overcomes the world except the one who believes that Jesus is the Son of God?
8. 2 Corinthians 10:4 For the weapons of our warfare are not of the flesh but have divine power to destroy strongholds.
9. Ephesians 6:11-12 Put on the whole armor of God, that you may be able to stand against the schemes of the devil. For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the cosmic powers over this present darkness, against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly places.
10. Matthew 18:18-20 Truly, I say to you, whatever you bind on earth shall be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven. Again I say to you, if two of you agree on earth about anything they ask, it will be done for them by my Father in heaven. For where two or three are gathered in my name, there am I among them.”
11. Isaiah 54:17 No weapon that is fashioned against you shall succeed, and you shall confute every tongue that rises against you in judgment. This is the heritage of the servants of the Lord and their vindication from me, declares the Lord.”
12. Psalm 84:11 For the Lord God is a sun and shield; the Lord bestows favor and honor. No good thing does he withhold from those who walk uprightly.
13. John 8:32 And you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.”
14. 1 John 5:4 For everyone who has been born of God overcomes the world. And this is the victory that has overcome the world—our faith.
15. 2 Corinthians 10:3 For though we walk in the flesh, we are not waging war according to the flesh.
16. 1 John 4:4 Little children, you are from God and have overcome them, for he who is in you is greater than he who is in the world.
17. John 10:10 The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy. I came that they may have life and have it abundantly.
18. Romans 8:37 No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us.
19. Matthew 16:18 And I tell you, you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church, and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.
20. 1 Peter 5:8-9 Be sober-minded; be watchful. Your adversary the devil prowls around like a roaring lion, seeking someone to devour. Resist him, firm in your faith, knowing that the same kinds of suffering are being experienced by your brotherhood throughout the world.
21. Revelation 20:10 And the devil who had deceived them was thrown into the lake of fire and sulfur where the beast and the false prophet were, and they will be tormented day and night forever and ever.
22. Revelation 12:12 Therefore, rejoice, O heavens and you who dwell in them! But woe to you, O earth and sea, for the devil has come down to you in great wrath, because he knows that his time is short!”
23. 2 Corinthians 10:3-4 For though we walk in the flesh, we are not waging war according to the flesh. For the weapons of our warfare are not of the flesh but have divine power to destroy strongholds. 2 Corinthians 10:3-4
24. 1 Corinthians 15:57 But thanks be to God, who gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ.
25. 2 Thessalonians 3:3 But the Lord is faithful. He will establish you and guard you against the evil one. I have said these things to you, that in me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation.
A Prayer to Put on the Full Armor of God
Dear Lord, I thank you so much for the powerful weapon we have through the Word of God. By the power of your Holy Spirit, I ask that you will help me put on the full armor of God each day. Teach me to use these Scripture passages to fight against the schemes of the enemy.
Through the power of God, I take up the belt of truth and declare your promises over my life. Your truth will set me free as I put my trust in you (John 8:32). I also put on the breastplate of righteousness as I walk in your holiness.
Through the sacrifice of Jesus on the cross, I am declared righteous (Philippians 1:11). I also make my feet ready by putting on the glorious gospel of peace. May your peace guard my heart and mind in Christ Jesus (Philippians 4:7). I take up the shield of faith, with which I will extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one (Ephesians 6:16).
And finally, I uphold the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit. Using the offensive weapon of warfare through the Word of the Lord, I declare victory and power in your name! Amen.
Spiritual Warfare Scriptures (Free Printable)
You can download this FREE printable by clicking on the link below!
I pray that these powerful Bible verses on Spiritual warfare will remind you of the victory we already have through Christ.
- We are seated with him in the heavenly realms
- Satan is crushed under our feet
- We can put on the full armor of God to stand against the schemes of the enemy
I pray that you walk in victory today as you remember that your eternal position with Christ is secure!
Join the Prayer Challenge!
Looking for ways to deepen your prayer life? Sign up for the BOLD Prayers of Jesus Challenge! When you sign up for the challenge you will receive a prayer guide, Scripture reading plan, Scripture cards, a prayer journal, a Bible journaling page and more!